Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rest in Peace, Robert Anton Wilson


SADE: And the things I did before I was brought here and cured? They were not Evil?
REICH: You enjoyed feeling Evil because it made you seem heroic. The humiliating truth, Marquis, is that you were merely ill.
SADE: And Hitler was merely ill?
REICH: That is the horror of the situation. We all know it by now, but we cannot remember. We repress it and go on blaming one another -- we forget what we know, because remembering it means remembering that we are robots, too -- that we have all been crippled in different ways by trying to live in the imaginary world of morals instead of the real world of nature.
SADE: So we just teach people how to breathe properly and relax their muscles and we will have Utopia?
REICH: No. I never said it was that easy. I said it was almost impossible, but we had to try, if there was to be any chance of survival at all....You can't feel naturally. You can't see what you are doing, or what is being done around you. You are robots. Robots. All of you. All of you. "
(Wilhelm Reich in Hell)
I only just learned of Robert Anton Wilson's death on January 11. I am stunned and saddened. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about his final days:
On June 22, 2006, Huffington Post blogger Paul Krassner reported that Robert A. Wilson was under hospice care at home with friends and family. On 2 October 2006 Douglas Rushkoff reported that Wilson was in severe financial trouble. Slashdot, Boing Boing, and the Church of the SubGenius also picked up on the story, linking to Rushkoff's appeal. As his webpage reported on 10 October, these efforts succeeded beyond expectation and raised a sum which would have supported him for at least 6 months. On the 6th of January, he wrote on his blog that according to several medical authorities, he was likely to have only between two days and two
months left to live, closing his message with "I look forward without dogmatic optimism but without dread. I love you all and I deeply implore you to keep the lasagna flying. Please pardon my levity, I don't see how to take death seriously. It seems absurd." He died five days later, at 4:50 AM
Wilhelm Reich in Hell was an aesthetic and methodological inspiration to me, and RAW's work inspired tens of thousands of people more anarchist-minded than myself. He was a wonderful writer and thinker, whose importance will grow in these chaotic times.
Fnord, Robert. Fnord.

No comments: