Thursday, April 23, 2009

more memories of Jets: Morning New Disease

This is an incredible performance that captures the intellectual as well as musical energy of the band...and also their authenticity, if that makes any sense...



morning new disease charcoal in bed
bone-soaked anemic listen in horror
to the scraping of flatware and china
and saran wrap to stifle libido
air shaft a chasm their lives flung open
sickness is a time for hating your neighbors
in their milk flats with five kids too many
having day sex because they're all daughters
and you're thinking the same two things
over and over again
I am dreaming of a life and I am dreaming of waking up
there's this anger rising cancer in me standing like a wall between
the waking world I seek and this infected plane of sleep
love come like an axe to all this ice and set me free
there's a black rewarding book
beneath this stiff sheet if you look carefully
noise police white hearse tv air wave methadone
diet contact safe sex antibiotics
for your safety we've taken sharp objects
it's their object to keep you from waking
taste test serenade we dig the grave
lose weight astrologically no money down
for your enjoyment we've excised the dialogue
for your protection we've installed a camera
just keep thinking the same clean thoughts
and keep telling yourself it's allright
I am dreaming of a life
and it's not the life that's mine
in a stolen car I rocket west out past that Jersey line
and the robots in their riot gear glimmer in my rearview mirror
love came like an axe and had her way with this coarse earth
and a small deserving book she was recovered and understood
and I awoke

No comments: