Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Peter Zimmerman: Convoys Solve Pirates

A decent commentary proposing a cheap and effective solution to piracy.

I realize there is a debate to be had about the causes and even justifications of piracy, and that for some, it can be interpreted as a positive thing if it helps break down the system (I feel like I should say "break down the system dude" or something like that). I do understand that kind of thinking but I don't have a great deal of sympathy for those who resort to gangsterism and extortion rather than political organization in response to exploitation and poverty. Trotsky and Lenin are still right about individual acts of terror. And there are no coherent arguments for why individual attacks against individual capitalists or merchants advances any cause whatsoever (pre-empt: I understand it's complicated). So in the meantime, I'd like for working people at sea to be safe, and convoying seems less militaristic and less accomodating to imperialism than militarizing the shipping lanes.

No comments: