Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Longing for peace in Sri Lanka

There's nothing I could preface, comment on, or add to the explanatory value of this post, written by Megan Dhakshini Shatrughan and transferred from Facebook to the blogosphere by Ravana. My desire for all of you to read it transcends any personal or political agenda. Go there and read the whole thing. Comments too.
Firstly, I know that Im just tired. Tired of the racism, tired of being generalized, labelled, looked down at, tired of the frikin war and everything that happened because of it. Im sure, as a tamil, you are too.
Second, I’m not too jubilant and dancing on the street now that the war is over. there was too much of a price to pay to get what is today labelled as peace. and I will not dance till it really happens. we all “know” too much about the politics. So I won’t need to say much.
But, here’s where the feathers get ruffled. Im happy too. Im happy that the war is “over”. Happy that He is dead ( oh yes, I said it). happy that maybe, just maybe, if the politicos and powers that be play thier cards right, this country- my country- can actually go somewhere. Develop. be a happy place. Maybe.
But just when I start looking at the positive side of things, I realised that suddenly the racism has actually increased. I realised that I had to keep voicing my usually quite thoughts just so that I wont be labelled anymore.
A comment on the post reads, in part:
LET US HAVE A NEW BEGINNING. LET US BE REBORN IN LOVE OF PEACE. LET US BE FREE FROM DEVIL’S TEMPTATION OF DIVISION.LET US NOT KILL ONE ANOTHER EVEN BY EVIL THOUGHTS BY WRONG WORDINGS OR ERRONIOUS ACTIONS ANYMORE.

May it be so. This is a community longing for peace.

No comments: